Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Nineteen Years

...ago today, my husband and I were married. It is very hard to comprehend 19 years, shouldn't we be much older to have been married this long?

We had planned on spending a long, leasurely day together today... until I finally remembered yesterday that I had a meeting today at noon (for that art association), and then we ended up needing to run an errand up to the mall (not a relaxing thing for either of us), and in the end we spent a little time together and a quick deli sandwich for lunch before I ran off to the meeting. Thankfully, this afternoon is a quiet time of relaxing while the girls do their homework, then we're going out to dinner together as a family. It feels right to celebrate our anniversary with the girls - not just a celebration of our relationship, but a celebration of the beginning of our family. We'll have that quiet lunch out together with just the two of us sometime soon.

I think that patience and flexibility are key factors in why our marriage seems to grow deeper and stronger as the years go by. That - and the grace of God. I watch friends who's marriages are struggling and faltering, and realize that it's not really that much of a shift from "making it together" to "not making it"... and I pray that I never take our relationship for granted.

If you read this, sweetie - Happy Anniversary!!! I am so glad that, on that November day nineteen years ago, we stood together before God and our family and friends and committed to sharing our lives together.

No comments: