Saturday, January 06, 2007

Movement and Body

I had the wonderful opportunity to go see a friend of mine dance tonight. She's a part of a modern dance company here in San Jose, and the evening was a delight. It is so amazing to watch these dancers use their whole body to tell a story and communicate such depth of emotion.

During the last few weeks, I feel like I have been learning more about living in my body. Bobbie had a great post a few weeks ago about this topic, with some links to great articles about body issues.

I feel like God has led me through a series of events that have helped me to connect more deeply with living in my body, and at the same time to connect more deeply with Him. This week I attended two yoga classes for the first time, and that was a very powerful experience for me. I really enjoyed the stretching, movement and breathing involved, and I loved how moving my body had an impact on my sense of God's presence during the meditation/prayer time.

Tomorrow I go on a half-day retreat. I am really looking forward to this time, eager to see what else God will reveal to me.

6 comments:

owenswain said...

May the intimate blessing of our Lord Jesus Christ be yours on your retreat into Him.

Chris said...

Thanks, Owen - the retreat was very wonderful. This whole weekend has been pretty amazing, and I think I am sensing some answers from God to some questions I have been asking.

Hope said...

Living in my body is something I long to learn. I was just saying to my husband the other day that if we lived in town I would be taking a yoga class. If I could find a good teaching video that went slowly that would be a start.

daisymarie said...

This being at home in the body theme has re-presenting itself to me lately. I need to rest here a while.

Chris said...

hope - I went to that yoga class that I told you about this week - it was the most incredible experience of stretching that I have ever had.

daisymarie - I'm thinking about that this morning as I wake up, though today I am so tired it's hard to move and I need to gather the energy to (substitute) teach 3rd graders for the afternoon. There are so many aspects to living in our bodies, isn't there?

Na said...

interesting, as im pretty infatuated w/ dance now and am wishing i had more time to invest in learning.