Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Bento-inspired lunches

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the lunches that I have made my youngest daughter in the last week. She thinks that I am very funny to be taking pictures of her lunches in the morning!


rolled sandwich and veggies
Originally uploaded by ChrisA

This picture shows a rolled turkey and tofutti-cream cheese sandwich in one tier of a two-tier bento box. The second tier has a selection of veggies and a few bread-and-butter pickles (one of my daughter's favorite treats). I'm not sure how nicely the veggies stayed in their places by the time this lunch was actually eaten, considering how backpacks and lunch boxes get thrown around at school, but I didn't hear any complaints!


mini pita burgers
Originally uploaded by ChrisA
This lunch has mini burgers made of meatball-sized chunks of meatloaf mix, slightly flattened and baked, which fit perfectly into the mini pita breads that I found at Whole Foods. The pitas were a little dried out, but the girls dipped them into ketchup (in the little container), and didn't care. Chunks of nectarines (dipped in diluted lemon juice & honey to keep their color), snap peas, baby carrots and bread&butter pickles finished off this lunch.

4 comments:

vkaz said...

Oh my gosh--these lunches are so beautifully and optimally packed. It's like food tetris!

Thanks for the pictures. It inspires me to try it too!

Chris said...

Hey, Vickey!!

Thanks for coming back to the blog to comment! You caught me in the middle of fiddling with the look and feel...

Glad you like the pictures! I wanna go look for more bento boxes and goodies some time.

daisymarie said...

I love the boxes! Nelson makes us what we call a meatloaf cookie to have for snacks. He was making meat-balls, but we found the cookies easier to eat. They're one of my absolute favorites.

Chris said...

Meatloaf cookie is a great name! :)

The boxes (and the bento blogs I have found) have been very inspiring. For now anyway - I'm having fun with preparing lunches, which is much nicer than the chore it had become for me.